I have to admit I wasn't too excited about all the things Jake had to do for this merit badge clinic he's been going to every Saturday morning. It's more homework than school! One of things he had to do was pick a local charity and put in 8 hours of service. It's hard to find something that an 11 year old can do. So finally he picked the Central Kitsap Food Bank, I told him they always need more food. He made up signs telling what he was doing, and we dropped them off to neighbors and friends houses on Tuesday. Then on Thursday we drove around and he picked up the bags that people had left on their porches. Friday morning he weighed it all, over 200 lbs of food! We took it down to the food bank, and they let him help sort it and put the food away on the shelves! I didn't think they'd let him since he's so young. He was able to see some families come through and pick out food. It ended up being a great experience for him. I guess I should be more positive toward this scouting stuff!
Good job Jake!
No comments:
Post a Comment